- Step by Step User Guide
- Accessing eServices using Ocean
- Initiate an eConsult to theOntario eConsult Service directly from your EMR via Ocean
- eConsult Services in Ontario
- Ocean-ON-eConsult-How-to-Send-eConsult -TELUS
- Frequently Asked Questions – Step by Step User Guide
- HRM Integration for OTNhub
- Primary Care Providers
- Tips & Tricks for specialists
- Current Provincial eConsult BASE™ Managed Specialty Groups
- Delegate Model
- eConsult Use Case Examples
- EMR Integration
- Patient Pamphlet
- Referral Survey Infographic
- COVID-19 and Ontario eConsult
- COVID-19 Vaccine Allergy Advice through eConsult
- Best practice Guidelines for Primary Care Providers
- Best Practice Guidelines for Specialist (Full Guide & Quick Guide)
- Best Practice Quick Guide for Requesting Providers
- Specialist Eligibility for Answering eConsults
- Guide for Locum Physicians
- OMA Quick Reference Guide to OHIP Payments for E-Consultation Services for Referring Physicians (K738)
- FAQ about Managing Liability Risk – CMPA, OntarioMD and eConsult COE
- eConsult in Long Term Care
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sample Cases from LTC
- Cost Savings and Usage Estimator and Guide:
- Cost Savings and Usage Estimator
- Guide: Incorporating eConsult into PointClickCare
- Guide: Using a Delegate for Submission with PointClickCare for Primary Care Providers
- Guide: Using a Delegate for Submission with PointClickCare for Delegates
- “Why eConsult” Posters:
- Infectious Disease
- Article: The Feasibility of Using Electronic Consultation in Long-Term Care Homes
- View the Infographic
- Virtual Care Supports for Long Term Care (LTC) Homes During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Resources to Support Virtual Care in Long Term Care Homes
Submitting an eConsult
Using Direct to Specialist
Providing an eConsult
Setting your Priority Region
How to Sign Up Delegates
How to Sign Up for an OTN Account
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between the “eConsult BASE™ managed specialty” and “Specific Provider or Group” options?
- The “eConsult BASE™ managed specialty” option enables the requesting provider to submit cases to a regional or Provincial eConsult BASE™ managed specialty group, which is a group of specialists responding to cases for a given specialty or sub-specialty (e.g. pediatric cardiology). The case is then assigned based on specialist availability.
- The “Specific provider or group” option enables the requesting provider to submit cases directly to individual specialists or groups by searching in a directory.
Who are the specialists?
- Specialists are located across the province
- Currently, the provincial eConsult BASE™ managed service on the OTNhub (otnhub.ca) offers access to over 100 specialty groups, including dermatology, psychiatry, endocrinology, cardiology, hematology, and pediatrics. For a full list of the current specialty groups offered click here.
- The goal over the next few years is to expand the number of regions offering Regional eConsult BASE™ managed specialty groups. Regional eConsult BASE™ managed groups are currently available for the South East, Waterloo Wellington and Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant regions.
- If there is a specialty you would like to see, let us know at eConsultCOE@toh.ca.
How are family physicians and nurse practitioners compensated for sending an eConsult?
- The service is available at no cost to the patient and the provider
- Where applicable, family physicians can bill OHIP using the K738 fee code
- Providers receiving a salary will not receive additional compensation for using eConsult
- See the OMA quick reference guide “OHIP Payments for E-Consultation Services for Referring Physicians (K738)” for more information
How do I manage liability risk?
The eConsult COE has collaborated with OntarioMD and the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) to develop a Frequently Asked Questions document on managing liability risk. Click here to read more.
How can I fit eConsult into my referral workflow?
- Independently submit eConsults using the web-platform
- Utilize administrative support by modeling your clinic’s usual referral workflow
- Physician or nurse practitioner types the clinical question, specialty and any other require information into their EMR
- Administrative support/delegate retrieves the information and submits the eConsult on the web-platform.
- Administrative support/delegate then retrieves the specialist’s response and incorporates it into the patient’s chart and notifies the physician or nurse practitioners that it is ready to action.
- Independently submit eConsults through full EMR integration.
What is a delegate and what are the benefits?
- A delegate is someone who can submit and receive eConsults on behalf of one or many physicians or nurse practitioners
- A delegate is typically a referral clerk, nurse or administrator working within the physician or nurse practitioner’s clinic
- Provides flexibility and makes efficient use of existing referral pathways and workflows
- Allows physicians and nurse practitioners to request eConsults using a familiar process
- Minimal impact on physician and nurse practitioner workload
Is eConsult available through my EMR?
EMR-integrated eConsult is currently available to clinicians who are using Accuro® EMR and KAI Innovations’ OSCAR. OntarioMD is working to expand availability of EMR-integrated eConsult to additional certified EMRs. The availability to clinicians will vary depending on individual EMR vendors incorporating the service into their product offerings. Contact OntarioMD for more information on EMR integration or to get started today!