What is eConsult?
eConsult is a secure web-based tool that allows physician or nurse practitioner timely access to specialist advice for all patients and often eliminates the need for an in-person specialist visit.
- BASE™ Managed Specialty model:
- eConsults are sent to a group of specialists from across the province in a specific specialty and each case is assigned to a specific specialist by a case assigner.
- Over 90 specialties offered province-wide
- Direct to Specialist model:
- eConsults are sent to individual specialists/groups by searching in a directory.
By the Numbers
eConsults sent in Ontario in the last 12 months
Active Primary Care Providers*
* Sent/provided 3 eConsults in the last 6 months
Metrics as of Dec 31, 2019
What are the benefits?
- Their care supported by a program that is fast, efficient, private, safe and cost-saving
- All patients receive access to quality specialist advice quickly, wherever they live in Ontario
- Only about one third of eConsults result in patients needing to see a specialist face- to-face.
- Evidence shows patient safety is improved through timely access to specialist advice.
- Provides timely access to non-urgent questions (average response time 2 days)
- Access to over 90 specialties & sub-specialties
- Improved care coordination and collaboration between clinicians
- Provides opportunities to enhance learning and manage patient cases at the family practice level, where patient trust is often highest
- Allows prompt, high quality communication with requesting providers
- Provides opportunities for knowledge sharing and increased capacity in primary care
- Offers liability protection through the permanent written record of advice provided
- Is an important part of restructuring care to improve equitable access for patients